Monday, November 7, 2011

11-7-11


Dear Family,
 
This week was good.  It was super fast...  I feel like I was just writing to you like 2 days ago.  All the weeks have been mushed together so I don´t even know what happened this week.  So sorry if there are repeats...  (and I don´t have much time today... we are kinda busy. so sorry if this is short. again...)
 
So the other day, a family invited us over for dinner.  We were all excited to go because they were planning to give us the most famous dish in Pasto.  Cuy!  Now, before I tell you what it is, just know that its a different world down here.  It will seem weird to you and maybe even cruel... but, this is Colombia.      Cuy is the spanish word for Guienea Pig...    Yep, that cute little pet...  Its pretty tasty though... 
 
Also that same day, for lunch, we went to a members house in a nearby town called Obonuco.  They gave me what was quite possibly one of the weirdest things I have ever eaten.  They gave me pata de vaca!   or in english,  Cow´s foot.  Just imagine that.  Its pretty much as gross as it sounds.   Don´t try it at home.
 
On wednesday, i had to go on divisions with an elder from my zone.  he is from the coast of colombia and is really really weird and annoying and hard to get along with.  He is the type that strives to be the president´s assistant.  He is super self absorbed and arrogant.  He doesn´t get along with his companion (who is a good buddy of mine).  His companion/our district leader knows that I have had some difficult companions so he sent me to go have a talk with him.  It all went really well but I felt bad for him.  Turns out that his brothers were both assistants in their missions and he feels like his family expects the same from him.  So as a result, he spends all his efforts in trying to impress the president or other leaders and forgets to focus on the important things like his companion or the investigators.  Anyway I hope I was able to help...  and I can´t quite figure out why I am the one that is always sent on special missions..  But I am getting pretty good at them.     But this whole experience got me thinking of what can happen in our lives if we forget to focus on the important things or when we put our focus on the wrong things.  Everything gets out of hand.  Things start falling apart, etc.   I guess we just have to prioritize at least..
 
Well this transfer is coming to a close.  I think there is about a week left.  We are pretty sure my companion is leaving (seeing as how President Prince told me that...).  So I am pretty excited to get a new companion.  I am pretty sure the president will give me a good one.  I had a good talk with him in my interview and he told me that he can see the potential of our area and wants to send an excited missionary here.  I guess we will see.  We never know what can happen with transfers. 
 
Love you all! Have a good week!
 
Love,
   Corey

No comments:

Post a Comment