Monday, April 16, 2012

4-16-12

Dear Family,

I had a pretty good week...  We baptized Omaira and her daughter Daniela!!!  It was a really good baptism and I am glad everything went well.   I don`t have my camera right now, but I will send photos as soon as possible. (maybe later today... maybe)

We worked very hard this week.  We were able to meet all the goals we set and we are very proud of the work we are doing.  We found a bunch of new people and the majority will be baptized very soon.  Things are going very well and I am happy where I am.  I have made some really good friends and I don`t want to be transfered until they tell me to go home...

We started teaching a 14 year old kid this week.  He is from a part of Colombia called Chocò.  Chocò is basically Africa.  It is very poor, and they are actually desendants of Africans.  So they are all black. (is it offensive to say that??? I don`t remember...  here it is very normal to call someone with dark skin negro...)  But this kid was taken by the guerilla when he was 6 or 7.  He has had a very hard life but is a really good kid.  When he was 12, he ran away from the guerrilla.  He is now in a program where he was adopted by a family here in Manizales.  He can`t ever return to his family in Chocò because the guerrilla will kill him.   So he is basically a refugee.  He is really funny and it is a lot of fun to teach him.  We have to take things really slow and we have to teach the very basics about religion.  He is a really good kid but is still learning right and wrong.  He is obviously a bit scarred from his time with the guerrilla but he wants to be baptized so I am sure you will hear more about him.  

Due to mom`s request for more information....  This week I have been pretty sick.  I have had some pretty good headaches and stomach pains...  But no worries!  Its probably nothing.

I am glad to hear every week that things are going well with everyone.  I always feel bad that I don`t have time to write personally to everyone... But know that I love you all!!!

This week, Obama and the President of Colombia, signed something that is called the TLC. I don`t know what it`s called in english... but its a trade deal.  It sounds like we will have colombian food in america!!!  And hopefully in the next six months American food in Colombia!!!   It should be cool because there are some food items that I definately will need to survive on a daily basis.  Such as, Pony Malta, Arepas, Panela, etc...  

Sorry I don`t have much to share this week... Love you lots!!!

Love,
    Corey

No comments:

Post a Comment